Feel great in a swimsuit this summer thanks to these super easy healthy eating tips.
Australian women surveyed in the The ULTRAslim Summer Weight Loss Index, released today, reveal they are more scared about wearing a swimsuit (46%) than sharks in the water (10%) or spiders and snakes in the garden (17%)!
“A lot of women put on weight during the colder months, enjoying comfort food and lazy days inside,” says accredited nutritionist and exercise physiologist, Kathleen Alleaume.
“Our index shows that many women (45%) struggle with snacking on food that’s not always healthy. With summer on the way there are many temptations including ice cream, fish and chip and summer cocktails and often these can be too hard to resist.”
“The road back to summer slim does not have to be as scary as you think. The key to success is finding a long-term solution that works for you, not just a quick fix. Alleaume recommends the following practical tips to ensure women reach their summer weight loss goals:
1. Replace meals. Need an extra kick start? Consider replacing one to two daily meals with a meal replacement such as ULTRAslim. It’s still important to establish other healthy lifestyle habits, such as a balanced, portion-controlled eating plan and regular exercise.
2. Ease off the alcohol. Not only is it high in calories, it also slows down the metabolism. Have no more than two standards drinks per day and aim to have two to three alcohol-free nights per week.
3. Fibre Up. Fibre is filling and satisfies for longer, it also helps cleanse the insides. Opt for fibre rich foods high fibre found in bran, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
4. Don’t Be Afraid of Carbohydrates. Eating low GI (good) carbs will help stabilise blood sugar and controls cravings. Without carbs your blood sugar will go up and down like a yoyo and you will crave snacks high in sugar (bad carbs) and fat. A bowl of wholegrain cereal, one cup of brown rice or pasta or two slices of whole grain bread to accompany your salad are all good single servings of carbs.
5. Eat Good Fats. Don’t completely shy away from foods high in fat, just know that there are good and bad ones. Foods containing good fats include oily fish, nuts, seeds, avocados and olive oil. Good fats are your friends during weight loss and should be enjoyed in moderation. So spread some avocado instead of butter, use olive oil for salad dressings or eat a handful of nuts (unsalted) for a snack.
6. Water, water and more water! Drinking loads of water helps speed up the metabolism, so your waistline will thank you for it. Aim to drink eight to ten glasses of pure water everyday.
7. Get Moving. Schedule 30-60 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most, preferably all, days of the week. Remember you can accumulate bouts of activity throughout the day by combining a few shorter sessions of activity of around 10 to 15 minutes each.
8. Think Greens. Include green vegetables with most meals. Think spinach for breakfast, compliment lunch with salads and try broccoli, beans or herbs for dinner. You can eat greens to your heart’s content without the excess calories.
9. Size Matters. Decrease portion sizes if you want to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Research proves that avoiding large portions of food will cut back on unnecessary calories and add years to your life.
10. Protein Power. Include a palm-sized protein food in every meal such as eggs, low-fat dairy, tofu, lean chicken, nuts, meat and oily fish. Protein satisfies and helps you control hunger throughout the day.
ULTRAslim products are available from Woolworths, Coles and independent supermarkets nationally. For further information on ULTRAslim products or healthy eating meal plans visit www.ultraslim.com.au.