- Work those extra hours over time if it means you’ll get the job done to perfection. You’ll get the satisfaction as well as respect from your colleagues and boss.
- Practise discipline and be committed. There will be times when you need to make sacrifices to get ahead – just remember it’s well worth it when it pays off.
- Get yourself a role model – someone whose career you admire – and search out their biography or any information you can find out about them in journals or on the Internet.
- Confound your critics by succeeding in the Pie In The Sky career they always mocked you for going on about.
- Be ambitious. If it’s a big opportunity that beckons, go for it, and don’t let anyone tell you you’re wasting your time.
- Spead your knowldege and expertise whenever and wherever you can. You will improve your self-esteem and self-confidence if you’re successful at passing information along to others.
- Cement your opinions on current affairs, politics and topical issues. Read, read, read and devour information provided by electronic media. There’s no excuse not to be well-informed about what’s going on in the world.
- Seek out experts or professionals in the area or industry that interests you. Make contact first via letter or e-mail requesting a half an hour meeting or phone call during which time you’ll invite them to answer your well-researched questions.
- Don’t let work/study become all-consuming and energy draining. You don’t want to burn out, so it’s important to maintain a balance with a full social life.
- Network, network, network. Wherever possible combine business with pleasure. Seek out clubs, seminars, events and conferences where you’ll meet interesting, resourceful, well-connected professionals. Likewise, if you’re working with like-minded people, it’s easy to extend the relationship to include socialising.
From Get On With It the sassy new book for independent single women by Sue Ostler (Allen & Unwin). Learn to love your own life, develop your career, take control of your finances and enjoy everything you want!
Image from “The Devil Wears Prada”