5 Minutes With International Makeup Artist Kevin Mendleson
With almost 14 years of experience in makeup, Kevin Mendleson is one of the world’s hottest international makeup artists. Today he’s Global Educator and Make Up Artist at mineral makeup favourite Jane Iredale. During a recent trip to Sydney he shared his best beauty secrets with us, including his favourite spring makeup look.
1. Why do you love mineral makeup?
First let me preface my answer by saying I love Jane’s minerals….not just mineral makeup. Not all minerals are alike and there is a particular way her particles lay on the skin and interact with light. That being said, I love JI because it makes me a better artist. I can do twice as much in half the time with better results.
2. What is your favourite makeup look for spring, and how do we achieve it?
My favourite spring look is satin skin with bronzer, nude eyes with strong liquid liner, stained lips in either a matte or gloss finish.
3. What’s the best way to stay matte when the weather’s hot and making our skin shiny?
Use an oil absorbing primer like Absence and use oil free powders.
4. Many of us get stuck in the makeup rut: doing the same makeup look everyday. What’s a quick tip to update our makeup look?
Here are two:
#1. Try a new look just before you cleanse your face in the p.m. This way if you love it you have something to look forward to. If you don’t like it you’ll be washing it off soon anyway.
#2. Ask a friend…not the friend who compliments you on everything you do and say, but the honest friend you may not see as often who will give it to you straight. That’s the kinda girl you want for honest makeup feedback – not advice, but a straight reply.
5. What’s the one piece of makeup that we should all invest in?
The one that makes you feel good!