Dark Caramel Brownies
Posted by Editor
Still looking for the ultimate brownie recipe? This recipe from Lindt Master Chocolatier Thomas Schnetzler has a rich, fudgey texture with dark caramel undertones.
185g Butter, unsalted
170g Lindt Excellence Dark Caramel Chocolate
160g Raw caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
1 pinch salt
170g Plain flour, sifted
25g Malted milk powder
120g Lindt Excellence Dark Caramel, chopped into small chunks
Cocoa powder for decorating
200g castor sugar
150ml cream, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 175⁰C. Line an 18 x 18 cm square baking tin.
2. Gently melt butter and chocolate together until just molten, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Whisk together eggs, raw caster sugar, vanilla and salt until pale and sugar has dissolved.
4. Sift together flour and malt powder.
5. Mix cooled, molten chocolate into egg mix. Gently stir in flour mix, and lastly chopped chocolate (use serrated knife to chop chocolate).
6. Pour into lined tin. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes or until top of cake is firm. Take care not to over bake - the centre should still be slightly soft.
7. To make the caramel sauce, place sugar and water in a medium saucepan and cook until desired caramel colour is reached. Take off heat, add a little cream and whisk vigorously. Watch out for steam and splatters. Add a little more cream and place some caramel sauce on a plate to cool and test its thickness.
8. Set aside to cool then dust with cocoa. Cut into squares and serve with Caramel Sauce if desired.
*It is important to cook the caramel to a relatively dark colour to flavour with a rich caramel taste rather than just sweetness.