Meat Free Monday: Zucchini Potato Fritters
These delicious, crispy vegetable fritters by Masterchef Philip Vakos make a lovely lunch or light dinner, served with fresh tomatoes and pan-fried asparagus on the side.
Posted by Editor
2 potatoes, peeled and grated
1 zucchini, grated
1 egg yolk
3 tblsp Chris’ Spinach & Pecorino Dip
¼ cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup plain flour
1 cup soft white bread crumbs
2 eggs and 1 egg white, beaten together
2 cups Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
oil for shallow frying
1. Combine grated potato, zucchini, egg yolk, Chris’ Spinach & Pecorino Dip, parsley, flour and soft white bread crumbs Mix until well combined.
2. Using wet hands shape ¼ cup measurements of mixture into patties.
3. Dip each pattie into beaten egg and coat well in Panko crumbs. Refrigerate patties for 15-20 minutes.
4. Heat oil in deep frying pan over medium heat (see tip below). Shallow fry patties until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve fritters with pan-fried asparagus, fresh heirloom tomatoes and a lemon wedge.
: To check the oil, put handle of a wooden spoon in the heated oil. Steady buddles mean the oil is ready. Vigorous bubbles mean oil is too hot and no bubbles mean oil is not hot enough.
: Fritters are also delicious made into tiny bites for entertaining.