Sweet potato has been dubbed one of the world’s healthiest foods, due to it’s major source of beta-carotene. This pigment is found in plants and fruits, and when ingested the body turns beta-carotene into Vitamin A (retinol), for healthy skin, boosting our immune system and eye health.
There are many easy ways to incorporate sweet potato into your diet, or even the diet of your children since as the name suggests, they have a sweet taste with a thick consistency.
If you can’t resist a good side of chips, this recipe will definitely be of interest to you. Substitute your standard potatoes, for a baked, healthier alternative that is also packed with vitamins and minerals your body will thank you for.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
3 large sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
1. Preheat your oven to 200-210°C, depending on your oven. Then lightly coat a large baking tray with cooking spray, or non-stick baking paper.
2. Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges or thin strips (as you prefer) and lay flat onto the tray.
3. Drizzle a touch of olive oil over the chips, and some herbs for taste.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn and bake on the other side. Remove chips when they are lightly brown.
5. When they are cooling down, finally sprinkle some salt over them.
Baked fries are lower in saturated fat than their deep fried counterparts, and are a fun way to introduce sweet potatoes to fussy eaters. As with every food, enjoy in moderation and be sure to introduce new foods into your diet.
What are some of your favourite ways to use sweet potato?
Image via kienthucgiadinh.com.vn/data/article/mainimages/saveimages/img44011YRYGF-SweetPotatoFries.jpg
By Felicia Sapountzis