Autumn Fashion Trends And How To Wear Them
Do you get stuck in a rut wearing the same thing every autumn (in my case, it’s head to toe black!)? Take inspiration from Birdsnest buyer, Peige Eber, who shares her cool weather fashion picks and how to wear them.
1. What are your 3 favourite trends for autumn/winter?
1. Chunky knits – what else says winter so well! The added bonus is of course the comfort factor. Scarves, sweaters and cardigans are key pieces. Layer a chunky cardi over a delicate dress for contrast and finish with your favourite boots.
2. Red resurgence – there’s a reason it stops traffic. This season red looks fresher than ever with fun accessories adding to the mix.
3. Military – our fixation with all things military continues…neutral tones, aviator jackets, shearling trims, buckles and khaki.
2. We all tend to wear a lot of black in the cooler months. What’s an easy way to inject your wardrobe with a little colour?
We all love our black in winter…it makes us look kilos lighter, so who can blame us! The easiest and simplest way to work in colour is with accessories. Find fun scarves, add red shoes, a bright handbag or finish off your outfit with a coloured belt.
3. We love the stripes trend, but how do you choose stripes that don’t make you look wider?
Stripes are available for every shape….vertical stripes are recommended for girls with curves, but more often than not horizontal stripes can create a clean fresh look that flatters curves. Team back with denim or navy for timeless style; add a touch of red with a scarf or bag and you’re ready for the French Rivera!
Peige’s Picks: 1. Living Doll Little Brown Riding Hood, $94.95 / 2. Levi’s Skinny Cargo Pants, $99.95 / 3. LouenHide Baby Molly Bag, $79 / 4. Walnut Patent Toe Shoe, $99.95 / 5. JAG Fine Stripe Tab Sleeve Knit, $89.95.
4. Layering is a winter staple, but how do you stop yourself from looking like the Michelin man?
Choose lightweight fabrics that won’t add bulk. Layering tonal colours always works well, creating a flattering silhouette and visually lengthening the body.
Peige’s Picks: Maxi Moment outfit.
5. What do you think of leggings? Are they are a wardrobe staple or should we give them a rest now?
As much as we don’t want to admit it…..still a staple. Leggings work so well for so many body shapes. For the modelesque types; this season’s print leggings look amazing on, and for the rest of us mere mortals…they cover a multitude of sins, elongate legs and work back with winter wardrobes so easily.
Visit birdsnest.com.au for more autumn fashion picks and outfits.
What’s your favourite autumn outfit?