Looking for the ultimate chocolate cake recipe? Look no further. This recipe gives you a chocolate cake that is the perfect mix of being fudgy without dense, rich but not cloying. You’ll love it!
180g 60-70% dark chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons very strong coffee or Kahlua
140g butter, diced
5 eggs, separated
200g caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
90g plain flour, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 175C. Line the base of a 22cm round springform cake pan with baking paper
2. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. When the chocolate begins to soften, add the coffee or Kahlua and stir very gently until the chocolate has completely melted. Add the butter and stir until the butter has melted.
3. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold in the sugar. Mix the baking powder with the cocoa powder and flour.
4. Remove the chocolate from the heat and quickly stir in the egg yolks, then gently fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites.
5. With a light touch, add the cocoa flour mix to the liquid and stir with a large metal spoon – making sure you don’t knock the air out of the egg white. Don’t overmix, just stir until the flour is combined.
6. Carefully scoop into the lined pan and bake for 35 minutes. Remove and leave to cool in the pan, then serve. The top of the cake will crack a little as it cools, this is normal.
What’s your favourite chocolate cake recipe?