It’s that time of year when little is more appealing than a hot bowl of pumpkin soup for lunch or dinner. Here’s our never-fail recipe which is a favourite at the SheSaid office!
700g pumpkin, cut in half, seeds removed
100g potatoes, cut into 2cm dice
60g onions, chopped
500ml reduced salt stock or water
50g reduced salt butter
small pinch of curry powder
1/4 cup cream (optional)
Sliced almonds, toasted
Wholegrain bread roll
1. Preheat oven to 175F. Lie the pumpkin halves face down on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until soft. Scoop out the flesh.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan and sauté the onions over low heat until lightly golden. Add the curry powder and potatoes and stir for 2 minutes, then add the roasted pumpkin, stock or water.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Blend the soup in a blender or food processor. Return the pureed soup back to the saucepan.
5. Over low heat, add a little cream and season to taste. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve with wholegrain bread roll.
What’s your favourite soup?