Celebrity Chef Justin North’s Top 5 Tips For Christmas
Justin North: Christmas in Australia is wonderful with its gorgeous weather. The sun is shining; the surf is up and there is a happy, fun and excited vibe in the warm summer air.
In my house, Christmas is all about BBQ’s. BBQ’s are the perfect way to celebrate Christmas as they are easy to do and take little preparation. BBQ’s also mean the host doesn’t have to spend the whole time in the kitchen and allows them to be outside with family and friends.
My top five tips for Christmas cooking are:
· Stay relaxed, have fun and enjoy your cooking by being prepared and going back to classic simple dishes. An excellent side dish is potatoes sprinkled with salt, garlic and thyme, wrapped in foil and placed on the BBQ or in the oven for 45-60 minutes until soft and aromatic. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche.
· Marinate steaks in aromatic rubs to enhance the flavour and tenderness of your favourite cut of meat (see recipe below).
· Keep fish succulent, moist and juicy by stuffing a whole fish with herbs and SAXA Sea Salt Flake Salt. Wrap the fish in parchment and then grill for a few minutes on each side until cooked.
· Made up of a pinch of sugar, grated zest of a lime and lemon and SAXA Sea Salt Flakes, create your very own salt cured salmon or trout. Just cover the trout or salmon in a citrus salt mix, cover in cling wrap and leave in the fridge for a few hours to marinate.
· As Christmas should be celebrated with friends, family and loved ones, large desserts put in the middle of the table are a great way to entertain and bring people together at Christmas. For a great trifle that packs a punch without using alcohol try a splash of pineapple juice and ginger beer to soak your sponge.
Try my delicious roast pork rump with crackling for the perfect Christmas day lunch or create a batch of my SAXA Christmas Citrus Salt and use throughout the entertaining season on fresh seafood or as a rub for the Christmas Turkey or chicken. The SAXA Christmas Citrus salt also makes a great Christmas gift!
Enjoy my tips and I wish you are your family a very Merry Christmas.
SAXA Christmas Citrus Salt
A fresh zesty SAXA Sea Salt Flake blend used for seasoning seafood or as a rub for poultry.
Place a cup of SAXA Sea Salt Flakes in a bowl with a pinch of sugar, grate in the zest of a lime and lemon, rub together in your hands to release the perfumes of the fruit and permeate the salt mix. Store in your pantry in a airtight container.
Use this salt to season your seafood before grilling or frying.
What are your best Christmas cooking tips?