Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Herbed Egg Stars
This heart smart winter warmer provides a healthy meal choice, packed with nutrients and guaranteed to provide long lasting energy throughout the cooler winter months. Make a batch to freeze – while defrosting you can whip up the adorable (and delicious) egg stars.
4 skinless chicken breasts
2 bay leaves
½ celery (or celeriac)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 pinch nutmeg
¼ bunch each parsley, chives, tarragon, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1. Place chicken, bay leaves and peppercorns into a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
2. In a bowl mix together eggs, yolks, milk, nutmeg, herbed and season.
3. Lightly spray a bowl that fits onto the pot with the chicken with spray oil, add egg mixture, place onto pot and cover with a lid.
4. Steam egg mixture for about 20 minutes or until set.
5. Set aside to cool, once cold, remove from bowl and cut into cubes.
6. Simmer chicken until tender, take out of the stock and set aside to cool.
7. Wash, peel and dice the vegetables.
8. In a saucepan heat the oil, sauté the vegetables lightly without colour.
9. Add chicken stock through a strainer and simmer until vegetables are tender.
10. Take chicken and cut into bite size chunks, place back into the stock and vegetables.
11. Add egg mixture pieces and serve.
Get creative and cut the egg mixture with a fun shaped pastry cutter.