The Golden Door Health Retreat And Spa have been generous enough to provide us with some amazing recipes to pass on to our readers looking to add extra health and vitality to their to-do list for the end of 2014. Nutritious and delicious – what more could you want?
100g (1/2cup) quinoa
4 125g (4 1/2 oz) chicken breast, skin removed
1/2 tsp salt and smoked paprika mix
1/4 tsp mustard seed oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 small onion, chopped
45g (1/2 cup) chopped mushrooms
125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
Juice of 4 apples (approx 375mls or 11/2 cups)
2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Wash the quinoa in plenty of cold water and drain. Put in a pan with 250ml (1 cup) of water. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sprinkle the chicken breast with paprika seasoning. Heat a non-stick frying pan and add the chicken to the dry pan. Cook for 2 minutes to sear, then turn over and sear the other side. Transfer the chicken to a paper-lined baking tray and bake for 12 minutes.
- Put the mustard seed oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the mustard seeds. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, until lightly golden. Add the mushrooms, stock and cook until the stock has reduced by half. Add the apple juice and cook for 15 minutes until reduced by half. Add the vinegar, season with salt and pepper and stir in quinoa.
- Toss together the tomatoes, parsley, lemon zest and juice. Serve the quinoa topped with the chicken and the tomato salad.
Nutrition per serve
- Energy: 1347kj (322 cals)
- Protein: 32g
- Total fat: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fibre: 4g
- Sodium: 95mg