Chicken, Rocket and Feta Rolls
While I love the idea of making my own pastry, I just never have the time, and supermarket pastry is packed with unhealthy ingredients. I’ve been using Careme pastry for years because it’s all natural, like this all butter puff pastry, and everything you make tastes like it comes from a French patisserie!
375g Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
1 egg mixed with 30mls milk for egg wash
½ brown onion diced
1 celery stick diced
1 small leek diced
250g chicken mince
½ cup bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
75g feta cheese crumbled
½ cup rocket leaves sliced
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200?C (180?C Fan Forced).
2. Unroll pastry sheet onto a floured work surface, roll the pastry out to 3mm thick, then place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover and put into the fridge while you prepare the filling.
3. Sauté the onion, celery and leek in a little olive oil until soft. Allow to cool then mix with the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
4. Cut the pastry into two pieces, so you end up with two rectangles. Brush along the long edge of each piece of pastry with egg wash. Divide the filling in half and on the opposite side to egg wash spoon the filling longways. Gently roll pastry over so as to roll up with the egg washed side closing the roll underneath.
5. Place in fridge for 15 minutes, then cut each long roll into four pieces each and glaze with egg wash followed by a grind of black pepper. Arrange on the tray evenly spaced and then bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, reduce oven to 180?C (160?C Fan Forced) and continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
6. Served with your favourite sauce or chutney and a crisp green salad.
Note: This can also be made with Carême Sour Cream Shortcrust Pastry.