- If you have to cook the Christmas cake then make sure you prepare it well in advance and every week tip a bit more brandy or sherry over the cake to improve the flavour. Leave the cake in the tin and cover it with aluminium foil. Even if you buy a good quality cake do the same thing, it will taste delicious.
- Doing the seafood thing? Then purchase prawns, crabs, lobsters etc well in advance. You definitely don’t want to miss out. Make sure you ask your local fishmonger what the best way to store the seafood is.
- You want that spectacular ‘woo’ factor when you light the pudding? Then warm the brandy a little in the microwave or on the cook top before you pour it over the pudding. Turn down the lights, pour over the brandy and light and voila you will be the life of the party.
- Get frozen milk, brown sugar and brandy. Place it in a blender with a little grated nutmeg, process until smooth and you will have a frozen eggnog – without the egg. Great to server before your lunch.
- Don’t have time to make mince pies? Then buy some good quality pies from David Jones or Jones the Grocer and squirt in a little extra brandy before you serve. Just adds that little added zing you may need.
Got Christmas leftovers such as ham? Then grab a fresh baguette, some Dijon mustard and layer on the freshly cooked ham.