Who knew that there are so many benefits of a scalp massage? They help to relieve tension, de-stress the entire body, reduce shedding, increase energy levels, and even stimulate the follicle making your hair grow faster.
To do this yourself at home, all you need are a few basic techniques and some essential oils.
1. Take 1 tablespoon of coconut or essential oil and smooth it between your hands. This will make it much easier to manoeuvre around your hair, and is super relaxing.
2. Start by running your fingers from the top of your scalp to the very back, since it helps to wake up the hair follicles. Avoid using your nails (possibly trim or file them beforehand), since they can damage your scalp.
The aim is to distribute the oil all over your hair, so don’t forget to work from back to front as well.
3. Use a zig zag motion (locking in your fingers into each other), and work from the middle section of your scalp, all the way to the back of your neck. Not only does it feel very relaxing, but it helps to detoxifying your entire scalp.
4. Concentrate on massaging the back of your head, and you might want to flip your hair over. Rotate your fingers and use an outwards motion to penetrate the hair follicle. If you feel like it’s actually giving you a headache, then ease-up and relax your hands – they’re probably too rough!
5. Apply some pressure with your fingers to the main points of your scalp by pushing down gently. Stimulate blood flow by rotating your fingers in a circular motion.
Image via Zunair Sulman