Try this yummy breakfast recipe which is high in protein and easy on the calories. Add tomatoes, avocado or even a cheeky piece of bacon to the side if you’re feeling particularly adventurous!
The little muffins are perfect if you’re too busy for a proper sit-down breakfast, since you can prepare these overnight and store in a carry-all container.
1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
10 ounces fresh spinach leaves
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded cheese (Parmesan or cheddar variety)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (or 190ºC), and lightly mist a muffin tray with Canola oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Add mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon of salt over a large skillet on medium heat, and cook until the mushrooms have softened in texture. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms with a spoon, and deposit them into another clean mixing bowl.
- Wash the fresh spinach leaves and add them to the skillet until they have completely wilted – about 10 minutes. Drain the oil, and remove as much of the liquid as possible by pressing the spinach into a paper towel.
- Combine the spinach and mushrooms into a bowl, then add the eggs, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix well before dividing evenly among the cups in the muffin tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, then let them cool slightly before removing them from the tray.
Image and Recipe via Culinary Hill