In the lead-up to Christmas a pet will no doubt be on the top of many kids’ wish lists! But it’s important to make sure the family is ready for the commitment. A pet is for life, not just for Christmas and unfortunately many animal shelters are inundated with pets in the new year that, once the responsibility sets in, families are no longer in a position to care for the animal.
Dr Katrina Warren shares her six top tips on making sure your family is ready and how to prepare for having a pet:
- The entire family should agree.
- The children should comfortable around animals.
- Children should be old enough to show respect and have self-control.
- The adults are prepared for the responsibility (don’t expect kids to be solely responsible!)
- Choose the right pet for your lifestyle and be realistic about the amount of time you have for caring and training it.
- Toy pets such as Little Live Pets can be a great way to introduce children to the responsibility that comes with owning a pet.
Little Live Pets are available from all major toy retailers Australia-wide, prices start at $12.95.