We love the messy bun hairstyle for day and night but it’s hard to get it just right – it can either look too undone or too ballerina. This is it: the perfect messy bun as seen at the Peter Som Spring/Summer 2014 show at New York Fashion Week that is both chic and on-trend.
Here’s how celebrity hairstylist Eugene Souleiman, Wella Professionals Global Creative Director of Care & Styling, created the look in a few easy steps.
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair, using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner, to ensure hair is in perfect condition.
2. Spray Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz liberally at the roots and throughout the length of the hair. Do not comb through.
3. Blow dry hair upwards at the root in circular motion, to create natural volume.
4. Pull hair into a high ponytail, between the occipital and crown, and secure with an elastic band.
5. Twist ponytail and tie into a knot, securing with several pins.
6. Spray hair again with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz and blast with a blow dryer to add more texture to the hair.
7. Gently pull a few pieces of the hair out, creating looseness and imperfection in the look.
8. Finish by pumping a dime size amount of Wella Professionals Mirror Polish into hands, rub together and apply to the roots of the hair in an upward motion for shine-enhanced texture.
Image: Shawn Brackbill for Vogue
Are you a fan of the messy bun? What’s your everyday go-to hairstyle?