Want lustrous locks with beautiful balayage ala Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen (pictured)? Or what about funky fishtail braids like those of top fashionista, actor Diane Kruger (pictured below)?
Never fear SHESAID readers – hair guru, Schwarzkopf’s national technical educator, Grant Withnell (pictured below), has expert tips here to make summer styling a breeze.
What are your top three tips on how to care for summer hair?
1. Firstly, it’s essential to have a good hair care regime. That means using a good quality shampoo and conditioner, as well as a leave-in product or treatment mask. You also need to think of treatments as a preventative, rather than a cure, to protect hair. So many women make the mistake of using treatments after the damage is done – treatments keep the hair healthy and not only repair existing damage, but also help prevent future damage.
2. If you have coloured hair, always use a colour-protect product with a UV filter and try not to wash the hair too much. But as long as you use a good shampoo you can wash your hair as often as it needs it, there is no thing as too much – it’s a personal choice.
3. If you’ve got very knotty hair from a day at the beach, the best way to tame it without causing too much breakage is to use either a leave-in conditioner, or an oil-mist spray to smoothen the cuticle (this is the bit which causes the knotting of hair), and use a wide-tooth comb or Denman brush because these won’t pull though knots and will reduce damage to the hair. Also, do not tie hair up when it’s wet because hair dries and shrinks and therefore pulls more tightly on the hairline.
What are your top three must-have summer products?
1. The beauty must-have this summer is the latest innovation from Schwarzkopf – Extra Care BB Cream. It provides 11 benefits in 1 product, including softness, shine, frizz control, deep nourishment and repair; this is the beach bag essential for any girl on the go this summer!
2. Schwarzkopf Extra Care Normal Balance Leave-In Treatment: this is perfect for everyday use and you can spray on wet or dry hair to maintain the health of hair.
3. Schwarzkopf Dry Shampoo: this is always great to have on hand to instantly freshen up your look, especially after a day on the beach!
What are your top three summer styling tips?
1. Summer season is party season so to ensure you always have beautiful, voluminous hair my favourite product for styling flat hair is Schwarzkopf Extra Care Volume Powder, which you apply to the roots when stying to create long-lasting volume.
2. Keep the new Extra Care BB Cream in your bag. It is the immediate hair smoother.
3. It’s all about textures in the hair form – high gloss to matt or combinations of both – mix and match products to suit the look you are trying to create.
What are some hot, new catwalk looks applicable to summer in Australia?
1. Hair gathered into updos or ponytails where wispy flyaways frame the face are hot right now, as are unstructured and loose ponies.
2. Braided hair is big – think style inspiration, actor Diane Kruger (pictured above). I’m talking double braiding hanging loosely on either side of the head, or braided against the scalp starting from the temples. Also, thick, single plaits in a wispy texture and fishtail braids that are loose and texturised are also a stylish look.
3. Heavily textured looks – long hair backcombed at the roots and through the lengths to create big volume. The finish should have a matte and dry appearance.
What are the hot, new summer colour trends?
1. Hair with luminous metallic tints in bronze and soft gold was the standout colours on the New York Fashion Week catwalks.
2. Colour-on-colour will be key, i.e, a variety of colours running through the hair, but all in a similar hue.
3. In brunettes, look for combinations of chocolate, mocha and caramel.
4. Dip dye was a trend, but we now see more balayage – think supermodel Gisele for style inspiration. The strength is at the bottom of the hair and there has to be softness to it.
Main image via hiji.co.uk and secondary image via mediumhairstylesideas.com.