Most of the world’s quinoa comes from the mountain regions of Peru and Bolivia where it originated from thousands of years ago and it is a nutritious seed which contains more protein than any other grain it is often compared to. This is one of the reasons why it has been labelled as a superfood. Quinoa is high in fibre to keep your digestive system regular and is great for keeping your blood sugar levels in check. It contains nine essential amino acids, iron, B vitamins, calcium, magnesium and much more so consider adding some quinoa to your diet today to reap the benefits of this superfood.
This Indian spiced quinoa recipe is healthy, easy to prepare, full of flavour and you can have it on your dinner table in less than 35 minutes.
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
12 fresh curry leaves
2 tsp garam masala
3 long chillies, seeds removed, thinly sliced
1 large onion, diced
1 ½ cups quinoa
½ cup green split peas
3 cups chicken stock
1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken
80g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil over a medium heat and cook mustard seeds until they begin to pop.
- Add curry leaves, garam masala, chilli and onion and cook until onion is tender.
- Add quinoa and split peas then stir to coat in spice mixture.
- Add stock and 1 cup of boiling water then simmer over a low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add chicken and spinach and heat until chicken is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Image via taste.com.au