For a healthy meal perfect for dinner or even lunch, why not try your hand at a lentil salad. This dish is high in protein, and can be customised with your favourite vegetables and sides for a unique taste. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and pop into the fridge for tomorrow’s meal.
HAVE YOUR SAY:
"[…] Quinoa is gluten-free, rich in protein and has a low GI. It..."Comment »
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
Ground salt and black pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, basil or mint)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery, making sure to stir until tender. This should take about 6 minutes.
- Add the lentils then bring to a boil before reducing the heat, and leaving to simmer in the pan.
- After 20 minutes, drain the lentils then season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice and pepper flakes into a medium bowl. Now add the lentils and toss before serving.
Recipe and Image via Whole Living, Scandi Foodie