Indulge in this healthy pasta dish which is packed with essential vitamins and minerals to keep you full and satisfied. Substitute your usual pasta for whole wheat, which is not only a healthier alternative but also tasty and full of heart-healthy fats!
1.5 pound squash, cut into thick rings, with seeds discarded
1 small red onion, sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 large tomatoes, halved and cored
12 unpeeled garlic cloves
1/2 pound whole wheat rigatoni
2 tbsp pine nuts
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
4 kalamata olives, pitted
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC), and line a large tray with baking paper. Toss the squash, onion and 1 tablespoon of oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil on another lined tray, and add the tomato and garlic pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 40 minutes, before transferring just the garlic into another bowl. Keep cooking the tomatoes for about 20 minutes, or until soft. Roast the squash and onion for a total of 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water, then cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the water, only keeping 1/2 cup, before putting the pasta back into the pot.
- In another pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil before adding the pine nuts until they’re golden brown. Now include the crushed pepper and olives before cooking for another minute. Add the vegetables, and stir through for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper before combing with the pasta. Serve with 1/2 tablespoon of pecorino.
Image and Recipe via Slothful Slattern, Food and Wine