Brighten up your next party with drinks the color of the rainbow.
If you’ve been paying attention to the US presidential campaign over the past month, you might have heard that a certain candidate’s son compared Syrian refugees to Skittles candy. As if that weren’t disgusting enough, talking about human lives so casually, why bring one of our favorite delicious candies into it?
Skittles had the perfect response to the controversy, saying, “Skittles are candy. Refugees are people. We don’t feel it’s an appropriate analogy. We will respectfully refrain from further commentary as anything we say could be misinterpreted as marketing.”
Classy. But in the spirit of the #SkittlesWelcome hashtag that trended in the wake of the controversy, we’re happy to do the marketing for them.
If you’re having a party this weekend (and here’s why you really should be) why not try making these fun boozy drinks in every color of the rainbow?
Here’s the recipe, courtesy of Delish.com and YouTube (instructions below):
What you’ll need:
- Five mason jars with lids
- A blender
- Sprite or a similar lemon-lime soda
- Coffee filters
How to make it:
1. First, sort your Skittles by color: red, orange, green, purple, yellow.
2. Measure out about 1/4 cup of each color and put into separate mason jars. Pour about 150ml of vodka into each jar, put the lid on it, give it a little shake, and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next day, line a strainer with a coffee filter and strain the mixture into a clean jar. Be sure to use five different coffee filters – a new one for each color – so the colors don’t get muddy. Throw out the filters along with what’s left in them.
4. Now for the fun part. For each drink, pour two ounces of one color vodka/Skittles mixture into a blender. Add one cup of Sprite and some ice, then blend to desired consistency. Add more ice for a thicker slushie.
5. Pour into a glass, add a straw, and voilà! Bottoms up.
Comment: Have you tried this drink recipe? Let us know how it turned out!