Did you promise to get fit and healthy at the beginning of January but fall off the wagon with a glass of wine in hand? We help you get back track!
Michael Cunico, Fitness First Health and Fitness Advisor says that focusing all your energies on one big goal can be a mountain of pressure and what we should be doing is resolving to make some lifestyle resolutions over time.
“Think about what you felt like when you were at your most comfortable with your appearance. Compare that to where you are now, and how you feel now,” says Cunico.
“Now write down some things you need to change, if you have a list of 10 things, pick the easiest to do first.
“You will surprise yourself with how much you know and how much you are aware of the things you need to do – now you have a target list of things you’d like to change.”
Michael recommends the following tips to make permanent changes to your health and fitness.
– Include someone else who you know will support you in making these changes such as a close friend, partner, or a trainer. Involving someone else will increase your level of compliance as there will be another person you are accountable too. If enlisting the services of a personal trainer, it may be more economical if you train with a buddy as you can split the costs plus both receive professional guidance.
– Always include some protein in your breakfast – it will keep you fuller longer and will also prevent over consumption of processed carbohydrates, particularly prevalent in most breakfast menus.
– Replace snacks of muffins and biscuits with fruit and raw nuts.
– For lunch and dinners, stick to lean meats and fish with salads and vegetables.
– Drink 8-12 glasses of water a day – it will keep you fuller for longer and cut out those extra calories in soft drinks and cordials.
· Acknowledge to yourself that these changes will be really difficult initially as you will be trying to break patterns that have been established for some people over years. Be realistic about the effort it requires, but remember that a longer, healthier, more active life is worth the change.
Fitness First is committed to making Australia a fitter place – so get out and get active to enjoy your life more this year. Check out www.fitnessfirst.com.au for more details.