Masterclass Mondays: Classic Cat Eye Makeup
I’ve always loved the classic flicked up eyeliner but have never been able to recreate it (I always managed to make it look like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show!). So when MAC Senior Makeup Artist Nicole Thompson gave me a quick tutorial and showed me just how easy it is I couldn’t wait to share it with you.
The cat eyeliner look has been a favourite of everyone from Brigitte Bardot to
Eva Mendes and Angelina Jolie. It can be as thin (perfect for day) or as thick as you dare.
* Using MAC’s new Wonder Woman Penultimate Eye Liner couldn’t make it easier to create a sexy eye liner. It comes in a chunky pen form (just like a Sharpie) so you simply draw on the line. The colour is a rich, true black which stays all day and if you make a mistake it comes off easily with a cotton bud dipped in makeup remover.
* Practise makes perfect for liquid eyeliner. The more you try it the easier it gets – I’ve been doing it for 1 week now and I’ve easily got the hang of it.
* If you’re still intimidated using a liquid eyeliner try MAC’s Fluidline in Blacktrack, $32. These amazing gel eyeliners give you complete control and are super smooth, foolproof really.
Get The Look:
1. Get a firm grip on the pen. Nicole’s advice: “pretend you’re about to write an angry letter to someone!” Pull your eyebrow up and draw a thin line along the top lashline stopping at the outer corner of the eye. Get as close to the lashes as possible, but you can always come in and paint over the line later.
2. Look straight towards you in a mirror. At the outer corner of the eye, gently feather in a 45 degree angled line upwards and outwards. It should just be a few millimetres long (unless you want an exaggerated cat eye so you can make it 1cm long).
3. With your eyes wide open and still looking in front at a mirror, start at the tip of the angled line and join the 2 lines together.
4. Close your eyes and go over the line. It will have a slight lightening bolt shape. Go over the whole line again to fill in any gaps and smooth out the line.
5. Use a cotton bud soaked in makeup remover (not oiled based as it will remove the line completely) to smooth out the line and touch up any rough edges (it’s inevitable!). Finish with 2 coats of ZoomLash mascara in Black.
MAC Wonder Woman Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack, $36 (out in March).
MAC ZoomLash mascara in Black, $33.