Mee Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
400g thin egg noodles
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 long red chilli
1 tsp shrimp paste
200g pork fillet, thinly sliced
300g whole raw prawns, peeled and deveined
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup finely shredded cabbage (firmly packed)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 spring onions
2 tbsp fried shallots
1. Soak noodles in hot water for about 2 minutes. Use tongs to gently separate the noodles, then drain and set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a wok over medium high heat. Add the oil and fry onion, garlic and chilli for about a minute or until onion is just starting to brown. Add the shrimp paste and stir fry for another minute to let the shrimp paste dissolve into the vegetables.
3. Now add the pork and prawns and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked.
Move all ingredients to one side of the wok and pour the eggs into the empty side. Let them cook for about 30 seconds and then mix the partially cooked egg through the rest of the ingredients.
4. Add the cabbage and a generous grinding of pepper and stir fry for another minute or until cabbage is just wilted.
5. Now throw in your noodles and the soy sauce. Toss the noodles for about a minute to incorporate them and warm them through. Transfer the whole lot to a large serving plate and sprinkle with spring onions and fried shallots.
What’s your favourite quick midweek dinner?