Who isn’t completely obsessed with Nutella? One of our favourite desserts is a spectacular brioche which not only tastes amazing, but is really simple to make as a beginner.
Follow this step-by-step recipe which will create a beautiful brioche flower, with a melt-in-your-mouth chocolate centre.
For the dough:
190ml lukewarm milk
3 tbsp sugar
60g melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
For the rest:
Grated zest of a lemon
1 tub Nutella (or similar chocolate spread)
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp water
- Combine the yeast and sugar with lukewarm milk. Leave the yeast to activate for 3-5 minutes or until it begins to foam.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a medium-sized bowl, then add the flour, salt and lemon zest. Mix well, and include the butter, and yeast mixture until you have a soft dough.
- Dust the counter with flour, then knead the dough for 10 minutes, and place into a greased bowl. Cover and leave in a warm place and wait until it rises.
- Once the dough is ready, divide it into four pieces. Place the dough over a circular baking paper (as big as a plate) and roll out until 3-4mm thick. Cover the entire surface with Nutella.
- Roll out another ball of dough, and place it over the first layer.
- Cut the brioche into 16 little parts, but leave a small space in the middle. Lift and twist each segment away to create the illusion of a flower.
- Brush with milk, water, and one egg before baking for 20-25 minutes.
- Once golden brown, transfer the brioche onto a cooling rack, then dust with powdered sugar.
Image and Recipe via The Bread Kitchen, Life’s A Feast