Looking to tame your sweet tooth this afternoon? Make these guilt-free scones which are ideal with a cup of tea or coffee. The recipe is quick and easy for impromptu house guests, and makes about one dozen scones.
1 large egg
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups large flake oats
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cold butter
1/2 cup raspberries
Raw sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF (200ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together. Grate the cold cutter with a cheese grater into the flour bowl and mix it into the dry ingredients until mixture becomes pebbly. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and and stir using a spatula until the dough just comes together. Gently fold in berries, careful not to over mix. It’s OK if your dough is sticky at this point.
- On a floured work surface, dump your dough onto it and form it into a circle. Cut out 12 biscuits using a 1/4 cup measuring tool, an ice cream scoop, a biscuit cutter or a muffin scoop.
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until they are golden and firm.
- Transfer to cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving. These scones are best eaten the day they are baked.
Image and Recipe via Warm Vanilla Sugar