With kids about to go back to school, you want to make sure they have a healthy lunch but one that they’ll enjoy too. Accredited practising dietitian Kate Di Prima shares her best lunch box tips to keep you and the kids happy.
1. Plan to cook extra at dinner so there are dinner leftovers for sandwich and wrap fillings.
HAVE YOUR SAY:
"[…] altogether. Try to expose your kids to a number of different foods..."Comment »
2. Pre-cut fruit and salad vegetables (score mango, slice peach, peel slice carrot, chop cucumber) and wrap in plastic wrap or store in containers in the fridge.
3. Pre-slice cheese to reduce the need for kids to use sharp knives.
4. Bake at home on the weekends and store items in an airtight container or wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze. Baking at home is also a great way to secretly include more fruit and veggies in the lunch box.
5. Buy yoghurt and custard tubs in 100-125ml ready to grab portion packs.
6. To reduce the need for plastic wrap, purchase small containers that can fit in the lunch box and be washed out at the end of the day.
What are your kids’ favourite school lunch recipes? Share your lunch box ideas in the comments!