Who can resist a perfectly poached egg, especially when it’s served with smashed avocado, hollandaise sauce and a side of freshly squeezed orange juice?
Make your own at home (and they’ll probably taste better than at a café), with a few secret techniques which will always look amazing.
Technique 1: Water
- Bring your water to a gentle simmer (no bubbles), then crack your egg into a small cup or mug and drop it into the pan.
- Simmer with the lid on for 3 minutes and on a low heat. Then just remove and serve!
Technique 2: Vinegar
- Heat one skillet with water, and bring it to a slow boil.
- Add some distilled white vinegar into the boiling water. Turn the water slowly with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Crack your egg again into a small bowl, then transfer it directly into the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes before serving.
Technique 3: Microwave
- Empty 1/2 cup of cold water into a small bowl, then crack the egg.
- Cook in the microwave for 50 seconds, then drain the water and serve.
Technique 4: Cling Wrap
- Cut small pieces of cling wrap and line the base of a small bowl. Drop one teaspoon of oil and a pinch of salt into the base as well.
- Crack the egg into the base, then wrap the egg by twisting the cling wrap ensuring that no air is inside.
- Drop the egg into a pot of boiling water and cook for exactly 4 minutes.
Image via Kitchn, B3ta, Williams Sonoma, Growing A Greener World, Betty Crocker