Forget about buying overly processed muesli bars, because now you can make your own healthy snack with Janella Purcell’s superfood bar recipe.
Not only are the bars gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan friendly, they’re also packed with nutritious ingredients including hemp seeds, spirulina, maca powder and cacao nibs.
1 cup pitted dates, or dried figs
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1⁄4 cup Lifestream spirulina
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup cacao nibs
1/2 cup coconut shredded
2 tbsp maca powder
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp cardamom, ground
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- Cover the dried fruit, nuts and seeds in clean water and soak for at least 8 hours.
- After soaking, rinse them in a colander and let them drain.
- Place the soaked dried fruit and nuts/seeds in your food processor and whiz for 1 minute to get a chunky paste.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. You may need to add a little water to get it to a nice puree, scraping down the sides once or twice – if it’s too dry, add in 1/4 cup more coconut oil and process again (the processing will heat the coconut oil enough to help it blend everything).
- Scoop the mixture out into a large glass pan and press it down firmly with a spoon to even everything out. Alternatively you could also make these into bite-sized balls.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate for one hour to harden.
- Cut with a knife and package them individually.
Recipe Courtesy Of Lifestream