Rhubarb, Cinnamon and Lemon Yoghurt Muffin
We all love a muffin break but most shop-bought muffins are just as unhealthy as a chocolate bar or packet of chips. These muffins are light and fluffy, low in fat and make the most of in-season rhubarb.
200g (1 1/3 cup) self-raising flour
150g (2/3 cup) caster
1 tsp ground cinnamon
60g (4 tbsp) butter, melted and cooled
125g (1/2 cup) Vaalia Low Fat Lemon Crème yoghurt
125ml (1/2 cup) reduced fat milk/butter milk
3 rhubarb stalks, sliced thinly
1 tbsp whole oats
1 tsp raw sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Prepare muffin cases by cutting out 8 squares of baking paper, or use
paper cases to line 8 x 125ml (1/2 cup) muffin pans.
3. Mix the sifted flour, cinnamon and caster sugar together in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, yoghurt and
milk/butter milk. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and combine to form a
smooth batter. Fold in the slices of rhubarb.
5. Spoon the mix into the prepared muffin tins and sprinkle each muffin
with oats and raw sugar.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until risen and golden in colour. Allow to
cool, and then dust with icing sugar to serve.
Ideas: Replace Vaalia Lemon Crème with Vaalia Natural yoghurt for a more ‘tart’ flavoured muffin.
If rhubarb is not in season, replace with diced apple or pear.
To achieve a muffin lighter in texture, sieve the flour 3 times before adding other dry ingredients.