Get two meals out of one of our favourite dinner ideas: succulent rosemary lamb becomes lamb pita pockets for the kids’ school lunch boxes the next day.
Serves: 4 (plus leftovers)
HAVE YOUR SAY:
"[…] Lunch: Leftover lamb with hummus and salad in a wholemeal pita pocket, and..."Comment »
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
1kg whole lamb rumps (about 4-5), trimmed of fat
2 red capsicum, cut into wedges
1kg pumpkin, cut into wedges
2 red onions, cut into wedges
2 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil
250g haloumi cheese, cut into 2cm pieces
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp rosemary leaves, chopped
1⁄2 cup basil leaves
Green salad, to serve
1. Take the lamb out of the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 180oC. Toss the capsicum, pumpkin and red onion with 2 tbsp of the oil and spread on a lined baking tray, cooking for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Add the haloumi pieces to the tray and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Bake the vegetables and haloumi for a further 15 minutes or until the haloumi is golden brown.
3. Place a large frying pan over a high heat. Rub the lamb with the remaining oil and cook for 2 minutes on both sides or until browned (lamb does not need to be cooked).
4. Rub the browned lamb with rosemary and place in a roasting dish in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Slice the lamb and serve with roasted vegetables, haloumi and basil leaves. Serve with a green salad.
Turn leftovers into lunch: Homemade lamb pita pockets
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Split 2 wholemeal pita pockets and spread with hummus, sliced lamb, sliced tomato and shredded iceberg lettuce.
What’s your favourite leftover recipe?