It’s said ‘variety is the spice of life’ and when it comes to your fitness regime, this rings true. Going to the gym, doing the same routine again and again, can leave you feeling unmotivated and less likely to keep it up. Fitness Manager at Virgin Active Health Clubs Mark Seeto provides his top tips to help you ‘spring clean’ your fitness regime and stay motivated:
1. Experiment: If the thought of running on a treadmill for a half hour is your idea of hell, here’s a crazy thought – choose an exercise you actually enjoy doing! This way, you’re more likely to exercise regularly. The mistake a lot of us make is seeing exercise as a chore. If you’re doing something you enjoy, it’ll become something to look forward to. Trying out some new classes at the gym is a great way to experiment and find out what you enjoy most. Why not try something that combines fun and fitness like Virgin Active’s rock climbing walls, or shake your booty at a Zumba Step class.
2. Enjoy the great outdoors: Exercising outdoors is a great way to get some fresh air and enjoy the scenery at the same time. While it might be tempting to stay in your local area, why not go for an adventure and visit a beach or nature trail you’ve never been to before? Walking on the sand or a hilly trail are both great ways to strengthen your core and improve your cardio fitness.
3. Get a personal trainer: When it comes to your exercise regime at the gym, it’s easy to fall into the trap of sticking with what you know and doing the same exercises. With the help of a personal trainer, you can learn new and challenging excercises you’ve never tried before so you can put these into practice next time you’re exercising on your own.
4. Bring a buddy: Kill two birds with one stone – catch up with the latest goss and get fit at the same time. Not only will exercising with a pal help to keep you motivated, they may have some pointers or exercises they love to do that you’ve never tried before.
5. Reward yourself: If you know you’re going to get a reward after all your hard work, then it can help to give you the extra motivation you need to cycle for a few more minutes or lift some heavier weights. Spoil yourself by taking some time to wind down in Virgin Active’s sleep pods, enjoy a relaxing spa or sweat it out in the sauna.