Strawberry and bacon might seem like an unorthodox pairing, but trust us, this is one delicious recipe! Combining freshly chopped strawberries, baby spinach and a warm bacon dressing, it is the perfect spring salad to enjoy in the sun on a lazy Saturday morning.
4 cups spinach
2 cups strawberries, chopped
¼ cup onion, diced
1 package of bacon (10 pieces)
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp dijon mustard
Pinch of salt and pepper
For the dressing
- In a large skillet, chop up the bacon and fry until crispy. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Pour bacon grease into a small pot.
- Add onion and sautee.
- When the onion is clear, add the sugar, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard.
- Heat the mixture on low heat, whisk while heating.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the crumbled bacon.
For the salad
- Chop up the strawberries and add them to the spinach in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the dressing on top, toss, and serve warm.
Image and Recipe courtesy of Vivian and Me