Summer Salads & Seafood Dishes
Wild Rice Chowder
This is a perfect leftovers dish as you can add the ham, prawns or chicken you didn’t eat on Christmas day. It looks complicated, but once you start cooking it’s just a matter of adding ingredients as the soup cooks.
1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
2 cups water
1/4 cup butter or olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
3-6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 peeled, cubed potatoes
1 pkg. baby carrots
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 16-oz. can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
2 cups cubed ham (or cooked chicken, or prawns, or even try cooked meatballs)(or no meat at all!)
In a heavy saucepan, combine wild rice and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, until rice is tender. Do not drain. Set rice aside.
In a large stockpot, melt butter or heat olive oil. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until flour mixture bubbles. Stir in chicken broth and mix well with wire whisk. Add potatoes, carrots, and seasonings. Cover pot, bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes until slightly thickened. Add corn (with its liquid). Cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in half and half, ham and the cooked wild rice. Cook until steaming, but do not bring to a boil again. Serves 8-10
Avocado and Prawn Salad
This is a great salad for a hot January day. The dressing and prawns can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge. Slice the avocados at the last minute as they tend to discolour if prepared too far in advance.
2 ripe, but not too soft, avocados
200g fresh cooked prawns, shell on, if possible
100g wild rocket
For the dressing
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 small shallot, finely chopped
3?4 drops Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
HAVE YOUR SAY:
"[…] lunch or even dinner it could be time to expand your horizons..."Comment »
1. Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Halve the avocado and remove the stone. Cut the halves in half again and carefully remove the skin. Slice the avocado into long slivers, lay on a plate and squeeze over the lemon juice.
3. Peel the prawns, leaving eight or so with their tails on.
4. Divide the rocket between four plates and drizzle with more lemon juice. Arrange the avocados and prawns on top, garnishing each with the tails-on prawns.
5. Place a dollop of dressing in the centre of the salad or hand around separately in a small bowl. Serves 4