Sometimes you just want to indulge.
It can be hard to find the perfect balance between eating healthy and satisfying your sweet tooth, but this tart ticks aaall of the boxes. Seriously, what isn’t there to love about a chocolate, orange, and caramel combo?
As a bonus, there’s no reason to feel guilty about scoffing down this refined sugar, gluten and dairy-free dessert, which doesn’t taste anything short of decadent. A rich and creamy coconut and date filling pairs with a nutty crust, and a silky layer of melted chocolate on top to make this tart absolutely. freakin’. delish.
It’s a perfect special occasion treat, but can also be stored as individual slices in the freezer for a quick, easy and tasty treat whenever you feel a craving coming on…
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 cup dates
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup dates
- 2 cans coconut cream
- Pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 roughly chopped choc orange bar (we used Well Naturally No Sugar Added Dark Chocolate Valencia Orange Chocolate Bar)
- 2 roughly chopped choc orange bars (we used Well Naturally No Sugar Added Dark Chocolate Valencia Orange Chocolate Bars)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Dehydrated orange slices (optional)
- Place the almonds in the food processor and blend until a coarse crumb consistency is achieved. Add dates and zest and process to crumb consistency. Finally, add coconut oil. Process until mixture comes together. Press the mixture into a tart pan and place into the freezer.
- Place dates, coconut cream, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and orange zest into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat stirring often for approximately 15 minutes, or until liquid has reduced down.
- Remove from heat and mix in one bar of chocolate. Allow to cool for 10 mins. stirring often to melt chocolate through.
- Place the contents of the saucepan into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (When blending something hot, always be sure to cover the top with a tea towel.) Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and pour over tart base. Place in freezer for minimum one hour to set.
- When the tart has set, place a small saucepan of water on medium/low heat on the stovetop. Place the two remaining chocolate bars and coconut oil into a glass or metal bowl over the top of the saucepan and allow to slowly melt, stirring continuously. You can also microwave on low checking every 30 seconds to mix well.
- Place orange slices (optional) on top of the tart. Drizzle top of the tart with melted chocolate. Allow chocolate to set in the fridge for 15 minutes before serving.
Store in fridge for up to five days or freeze for up to three months.
Recipe and image courtesy of Well Naturally and Isabelle Cornish.