Which cashed-up celebrities open their hearts and their wallets to help others? Here’s a list of the top donators of 2008 according to the Giving Back Fund.
1) Paul Newman – donated an estimated $21 million
2) Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt – donated an estimated $13.4 million
3) Mel Gibson- donated an estimated $6.5 million
4) Richard Childress (former NASCAR racer) – donated an estimated $5 million
5) Oscar De La Hoya – donated an estimated $3.5 million
6) Oprah Winfrey- donated an estimated $2.4
7) Sam Waterston – donated an estimated $2.1 million
8) Yao Ming (basketball player) – donated an estimated $2 million
9) Patricia Cornwell (author) – donated an estimated $2 million
10) Barbra Streisand- donated an estimated $1.7 million
So Paul Newman – who passed away last September – gave a huge $21 million to various initiatives and campaigns, while Angelina and Brad spent an estimated $13.4 million on good causes including a health clinic in Ethiopia and the redevelopment of New Orleans last year.
The couple also donated $1 million to help children caught up in the Iraq
conflict, through education programmes via their Jolie-Pitt foundation.
Meanwhile, Mel invested $6.5 million to causes including a Holy Family
Church in California and Oprah created scholarships for kids in the hometown of her longtime partner, Stedman Graham. Good to see some celebs have their priorities straight!