Whether you will spend Valentine’s Day with your partner, your best friend, or alone, it’s a great day to have a night in and watch a chick flick. There are so many romantic movies out there, but only a few have become classics over time.
It might be because of the storyline, the great actors, or the tear-jerking scenes that make you sob like a little baby, but each of the following 5 films is great in its own way and makes for a perfect Valentine’s Day movie:
1. Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare’s classic, which served as inspiration for pretty much every love story that followed. There are countless films based on the drama, but who doesn’t enjoy Baz Luhrmann’s version starring a very young (and cute) Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.
2. Ghost. Yes, this movie is sad. But it also makes us believe in the power of love beyond death. And it reminds us of what Demi Moore used to look like.
3. 500 Days of Summer. Not your typical love story and definitely more suited for the realists out there. If you want a story about love rather than a love story, watch Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt fall in and out of love in this one (and enjoy the amazing soundtrack).
4. Breakfast at Tiffany’s. For a bit of nostalgia, Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly never disappoints. This movie is both comedic and sad and includes one of the best kissing-in-the-rain scenes of all time.
5. The Notebook. Two words: Ryan Gosling. This movie, though only ten years old, has quickly become a classic and is the definition of the term ‘chick flick’. A must-see for Valentine’s Day.
images via imdb.com and literaryramblings.com