Aussie hairdressing maverick Oscar Cullinan (pictured), founder and director of the 15-salon Oscar Oscar empire, knows everything there is to know about hair – including top things to consider before going blonde. If you’re ready to make the big change this spring/summer, but not sure how to prep – read on for some sage advice from the hair guru, who’s been twice crowned Australian Hairdresser of the Year. After all, gentleman do prefer blondes, so you want to be prepared for that kind of attention, girlfriend!
1. High maintenance: If you’re going to go blonde this spring/summer, be prepared for some fairly high maintenance hair care, says Oscar. “Depending on how blonde you want to be Vs your natural base colour, the level of maintenance required will vary,” he says. “If you want to be bold with this season’s platinum blonde trend, expect to need salon appointments every three to four weeks. If you are after a more natural blonde, try a variation of foils and balayage which will require an appointment every six weeks to keep your colour fresh.”
2. Treat your hair right: Going blonde will dry your hair out to some extent, says the hair guru. However, a professional in-salon treatment such as Kérastase Fusio Dose, followed by a great weekly at-home treatment such as Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy masque, will keep your hair looking glamorous, soft and bouncy. Just don’t neglect the treatments or your hair will go from fab to drab, Oscar says.
3. Quality of the colour: Just like all products, the quality of the colour product hairdressers use can vary. Oscar’s top tip is to look for colour that’s ammonia-free and which contains proteins to strengthen the hair. “I highly recommend Rekden Chromatics, it’s the Chanel of hair colour,” he says.
4. Give your blonde personality: “Going blonde doesn’t just mean getting a head of foils,” Oscar says. “A great glossing treatment will also alter the tone of the blonde, giving your colour the X-factor to make you stand out from the crowd.” This season, strawberry blonde tones and icy Nordic platinum blondes are really on trend (pictured below). Oscar’s top tip? Ask your hairdresser for a tone of blonde which will suit your skin tone and eye colour.
5. New hair, new you: Want to be a blonde bombshell? You gotta invest, baby – and not just in your hair. “Going blonde can mean a whole new look, so consider your make-up, wardrobe and all over fashion style, as it will most likely need to be adjusted to suit your new blonde hue!” Oscar says.