Make this delicious traditional Hungarian dish which is full of rich flavour and colour.
Our recipe uses beef, but feel free to substitute it for veal, vegetables or even tofu for added taste or dietary requirements. Serve with a side of deep-red wine which will bring out the flavour of the stew.
3 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp oil
5 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the garlic and onions, then set them aside. Cut the beef into 4cm strips, and remove the nerves and fat with a sharp knife.
- Heat the oil, and sauté the onions until they are nearly brown.
- Combine the paprika, garlic, oregano, thyme, and cumin into small bowl. Pour three tablespoons of this mixture into the pan with the onions. Sauté lightly, then include the vinegar and 8-10 tablespoons of water.
- Finally add the meat, then include the salt and pepper before covering the pot. Add a few teaspoons of water to keep the goulash from drying out.
- Let this cook for 1-1.5 hours or until the meat is almost cooked. Combine the rest of the spices and pour some cold water over the mixture before covering it up. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, and serve immediately.
Image and Recipe via Eat Well 101