Each week, SHESAID is teaming up with some of the most influential and creative food bloggers to bring you a variety of healthy, nutritious and most importantly – delicious, recipes from the social sphere.
Not very often do you come across a pizza recipe that’s vegan, gluten-free and contains no refined sugar. However, thanks to the ladies over at @panaceas_pantry, this chickpea pizza with salse verde is just that – and more!
“I was inspired by the humble Indian dosa for this recipe – naturally gluten-free and vegan, made from a base of chickpea flour and packed with flavour,” said one half of the duo, Jade. “This version is thicker, heartier and transformed into a pizza base. Though really, you could use it as an vegan omelette or savoury pancake.”
Be sure to share your #WholesomeEats with @shesaid and @panaceas_pantry on Instagram!
1⁄2 cup + 2 tbsp garbanzo (chickpea) flour
1⁄2 cup + 3 tbsp water
1⁄4 tsp baking flour
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1⁄4 red onion, diced
Salt and pepper
2 cups spinach
Juice of 1⁄4 lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 heaped tsp capers
1⁄2 cup mixed fresh herbs; we used mint, coriander and parsley
Thinly sliced zucchini strips (we used a potato peeler for this)
Raw, grated beetroot
Thinly sliced red onion
Hummus, olive oil or hulled tahini
- Whisk all pizza ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl until the mixture is completely uniform, set aside for at least 15 minutes to allow the mix to soak.
- To make the Salsa; pulse all ingredients in a high speed food processor until combined and still slightly chunky (about 12 times)
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy based fry pan over medium heat for 1 minute until hot, but not allowing the oil to smoke. While the oil is heating, quickly whisk the mixture to work air bubbles through.
- Once hot, pour the mix into the pan, tilting the pan to evenly spread the mix. Leave to cook for 67 minutes before flipping, (the pizza will bubble and begin to dry when ready). Once flipped, cook for roughly 5 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown.
- Top pizza with salsa, then layer on sliced tomato, red onion, zucchini strips and shredded beetroot. Warm under the grill for 23 minutes, or to your preference. Serve with avocado and hummus, tahini or olive oil.