Nom nom nom…
Food is a great excuse to share a meal with loved ones, try new cultures and celebrate the special moments in life. So if you’re hoping to move on from baking delicious peanut butter treats and are looking to try something a little healthier this New Year, these ginger prawns with yuzu mayonnaise will tick all your boxes and create a dish which encompasses what food is all about.
Perfect for serving at your NYE bash, after one bite of this simple and mouthwatering canapé, you’ll have all your guests smiling and coming back for more.
- 1/3 cup of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of mirin
- 2 tablespoons of cooking sake
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 10 raw prawns, peeled and deveined, tail intact
- 1/4 cup of frozen shelled soy beans (edamame)
- sea salt flakes
- roasted ground rice (see note)
- baby coriander to serve
- 1/2 cup of Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yuzu juice
1. Combine the soy, mirin, sake, sesame oil, sugar, ginger and garlic in a mixing bowl, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Reserve one to two tablespoons for serving. Add the prawns and toss through the remaining marinade to coat. Cover the bowl and then place in fridge to marinate for 20 minutes.
2. While the prawns are marinating, combine the Kewpie mayonnaise and yuzu juice in a small mixing bowl. Taste and adjust by adding more yuzu if you feel it’s needed. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge.
3. Heat a barbecue or grill pan to a medium heat or until the grill is steaming. Cook the prawns for three to four minutes on each side, basting with the marinade every minute or so.
4. Place a medium saucepan of salted water on the heat and bring to the boil. Add the soy beans and blanch for 30 to 60 seconds. Remove immediately from the water and drain.
5. To serve, place a prawn on a serving spoon along with some of the reserved dressing, a dollop of the yuzu mayo, soy beans and a grind of roasted rice. Dress with the baby coriander.
Makes: 10 canapés