Imagine how fulfilling it would be to reach your professional potential, but how do you go about it? We’ve got the 10 steps you need to take to shine at your job and achieve the success you’ve always dreamed of. From Get On With It by Sue Ostler (Allen & Unwin).
1. Work those extra hours over time if it means you’ll get the job done to perfection. You’ll get the satisfaction as well as respect from your colleagues and boss.
2. Practise discipline and be committed. There will be times when you need to make sacrifices to get ahead – just remember it’s well worth it when it pays off.
3. Get yourself a role model – someone whose career you admire – and search out their biography or any information you can find out about them in journals or on the Internet.
4. Confound your critics by succeeding in the Pie In The Sky career they always mocked you for going on about.
5. Be ambitious. If it’s a big opportunity that beckons, go for it, and don’t let anyone tell you you’re wasting your time.
6. Spread your knowldege and expertise whenever and wherever you can. You will improve your self-esteem and self-confidence if you’re successful at passing information along to others.
7. Cement your opinions on current affairs, politics and topical issues. Read, read, read and devour information provided by electronic media. There’s no excuse not to be well-informed about what’s going on in the world.
8. Seek out experts or professionals in the area or industry that interests you. Make contact first via letter or e-mail requesting a half an hour meeting or phone call during which time you’ll invite them to answer your well-researched questions.
9. Don’t let work/study become all-consuming and energy draining. You don’t want to burn out, so it’s important to maintain a balance with a full social life.
10. Network, network, network. Wherever possible combine business with pleasure. Seek out clubs, seminars, events and conferences where you’ll meet interesting, resourceful, well-connected professionals. Likewise, if you’re working with like-minded people, it’s easy to extend the relationship to include socialising.
What’s your top tip for being successful at work?