10 Years Of ‘Mean Girls’
Unbelievably, it has been 10 years since the release of the cult movie Mean Girls. This film was to the early-2000s what Clueless was to the ’90s. It was a mega hit and “so fetch” at the time and its success took most people by surprise, including Tina Fey. Her adaptation of the book Queen Bees and Wannabes was dark in its humour but was relatable to so many women, and particularly girls aged between 13 and 20.
Besides highlighting the high school experience in such a funny way, the movie is one of the most quotable films ever. Here is my top ten:
- “He’s too gay to function.”
- “That’s why her hair is so big. It’s full of secrets.”
- “Irregardless! Ex-boyfriends are just off limits to friends. I mean, that’s just like, the rules of feminism!”
- “I don’t hate you ‘cause your fat. You’re fat ‘cause I hate you!”
- “You smell like a baby prostitute.”
- “I’m sorry I called you a gap-toothed bitch. It’s not your fault you’re so gap-toothed.”
- “If you’re from Africa, why are you white?”
- “On Wednesdays, we wear pink.”
- “One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome.”
- “It’s like I have ESPN or something. My breasts can always tell when it’s going to rain. Well… they can tell when it’s raining.”
Did you know? Lindsay Lohan originally auditioned to play Regina and Rachel McAdams wanted to be Cady. Wow, wouldn’t that have made for a very different movie?!