Work besties 4 lyfe.
Work is a bit like war. It forces us to bond deeply with our fellow comrades as we share the struggles of making it to clock-off time together, and innately understand no one else will know what it’s like to deal with the perpetually jammed printer or our cubicle neighbor’s odorous lunches quite like those that have been through the trenches with us.
So, much like our families, while we don’t often get the luxury of picking who it is we get to battle in those trenches with, we are stuck with them, regardless, and so pledge our loyalty to them unconditionally. It’s in these times work BFF relationships are forged; the shining light at the end of an otherwise bleak tunnel filled with mind-numbing paperwork and ass-kissing. And if you’re fortunate enough to have found your work soulmate, you’ll know these things to be true…
1. You have a complex system of facial expressions you use to silently let each other know when the office hottie is within direct viewing vicinity.
*Wink wink, nudge, nudge*
2. And an equally sophisticated communication system for alerting your work BFF the boss is right behind her.
ABORT FACEBOOK. ABORT!
3. You share a hatred of the volatile office AC system.
Why is it always either Arctic freezing or Sahara hot in here?!!
4. You bond over bitch sessions about the boss and/or your snarky colleague.
Seriously, what is her problem?!
5. You keep the day entertaining by forwarding each other inane news stories.
A cat got itself stuck where?
6. You share a dislike for your super needy colleague, typically communicated through sarcastic email exchanges post-encounter.
Is it just me, or has she already told that story about her wedding like ten times now?
7. You both understand and respect the need to put headphones in even when they’re not playing actual music in order to signal you don’t want to be distracted.
Sometimes a #girlboss needs to concentrate.
8. Any and all office scandals are communicated on an urgent basis.
OH. EM. GEE.
9. You both know chair dancing is obligatory when your fave song comes on in the office after hours.
P-p-p-poker face, p-p-poker face…
10. You ALWAYS notify one another in the case of food/lipstick on teeth or clothing.
11. Sometimes after-work drinks are invite only.
You both know how to discreetly get around hitting the bar for TGIF drinks without alerting your needy colleague.
12. If you have to have a work cry, she’s the first one you reach for.
13. And you both feel that if it weren’t for each other, work would be a much less enjoyable place to be.
Images via facebook.com/parksandrecreation, giphy.com and tumblr.com.
Comment: Do you have a work BFF?