Cocktail Twists That’ll Leave You Wanting More
A new spin on an old classic.
I’m always looking for something new when it comes to cocktails. Although my go-to is a fresh, super-chilled mojito, I’m happy to try anything.
However, it’s come to my attention that every man and his dog are trying to invent the new ‘it’ cocktail, and as a result there are some fairly – how should I put this lightly? – average drinks on the menu.
I’m the kind of person whose mantra is ‘don’t fix what ain’t broke’, so all these unnecessarily fancy beverages are doing my head in. I find the best contemporary cocktails are those that add just a touch of innovation to classic drinks, blending heritage flavors with exciting relish.
Original, elegant cocktails that have had a mini makeover will hit the spot every time – here are the hottest ones to mix at your next dinner party.
Summer Popsicle Spritz
- Blood-orange juice or nectar
- Popsicle molds
- 1½ shots of Aperol
- Ice cubes
- 2 shots of prosecco
- 1 shot of soda water
1. The night before your cocktail session, pour the blood-orange nectar or juice into the popsicle moulds and allow them to freeze completely.
2. On the day of your cocktail session, pour the Aperol into a wine glass with a couple of ice cubes, then add the prosecco, followed by a shot of soda water. Mix together.
3. Once your cocktail’s been built, remove the blood-orange popsicles from the freezer and add one to the top of each drink. Allow the popsicle to melt slightly – it’ll add a spot of sweetness.
Ingredients (per cocktail):
- ⅓ shot of orange syrup
- 1 shot of Nespresso Indriya
- 1 shot of vodka
- 1 shot of crème de cacao
- 5 ice cubes
- Strip of orange peel, to garnish
1. Add all the ingredients (except the orange peel) into a cocktail shaker. Shake well.
2. Strain and pour into a martini glass. Garnish with the orange peel and enjoy your creamy coffee pick-me-up.
The Spark by Fernando
- 10ml of pink pepper berries syrup
- 40ml of grapefruit juice
- 60ml of Chandon Brut
- 1 chilli
1. Chill the pink pepper syrup and the grapefruit juice in a glass. Mix together.
2. Strain the mixture into a cocktail glass, then add the Chandon Brut.
3. Garnish with the chilli and prepare yourself for a captivating Spanish-influenced cocktail.
Images and recipes courtesy of Aperol, Chandon and Nespresso.
Comment: What’s your winning cocktail recipe?