Did you know a single slice of fast-food pizza can be as much 1,000 calories? Here’s how to make your own delicious pizza for under 350 calories (and that’s for 2 big slices) – never get home delivery again! Try this recipe for crispy wholemeal pizza dough (which you can make and freeze for those pizza cravings) or use flatbread or pita for a quick and easy alternative.
Wholemeal Pizza Dough
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 Healthy Toppings
1 cup thinly sliced yellow and red capsicum
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Fontina cheese
1 roast chicken
1/4 cup barbecue sauce, shredded
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup pizza or pasta tomato sauce
1/2 cup roasted capsicum slices
50g crumbled goat cheese
1 1/4 cups baby spinach leaves
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 slices prosciutto
300g tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the wholemeal flour and 1 cup of the plain flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining plain flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crusts, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise again for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
4. Roll the dough with a rolling pin until thin. Try not to stretch too thin or holes will appear.
5. Preheat oven to 220C. Leave a pizza stone in the oven while you prepare the ingredients to get it really hot.
6. Scatter your chosen ingredients over the pizza dough and bake in the hot oven for 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy.
What’s your favourite healthy dinner?