5 Minutes With Celebrity Chef Darren Simpson
Darren Simpson is one of Australia’s favourite celebrity chefs, hailing from Northern Ireland and now heading up Paddington’s sexy La Scala on Jersey. In between we’ve loved him as a judge on My Restaurant Rules and The Best in Australia, while also serving up his take on modern Italian fare on Ready, Steady, Cook. As LG’s ambassador, Darren is passionate about quality ingredients and authentic yet accessible cooking. “Coooking for me is about keeping things simple and delivering an experience for any guests that comes to my dinner table.”
What’s one recipe that every home cook should master?
Roast organic chicken with all the trimmings.
What are you looking forward to cooking this spring?
Local asparagus in all its forms.
What are your best tips for entertaining at home?
Cook to please, rather than to impress!
What’s your signature recipe at the moment?
Roasted bone marrow, Maldon sea salt, parsley salad and bruschetta.
What do you love about Australian food?
Australian food is full of sunshine from a hotdog at Harry’s Cafe de Wheels to fantastic grilled Reef fish.
…And what do you miss about English food?
Fresh turbot and langoustines.
Frittata with smoked salmon, zucchini blossoms, ricotta, basil and mint
For the filing
10 zucchini blossoms – petals torn and the zucchini finely sliced
4 spring onions finely chopped
1 small clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp of basil chopped
1 tbsp of mint chopped
1 tbsp of parsley chopped
200g of ricotta crumbled
2 tbsp of butter
Sprigs of dill for garnish
For the frittata
6 organic eggs
6 tbsp of water
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
250 smoked salmon (must be banquet sliced from Huon)
250g crème fraiche (Isigny)
1 small jar of salmon cavier
Lakelands olive oil
1. In a non stick pan fry the zucchini, spring onions and garlic in the butter till soft.
2. Add the herbs and ricotta and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Whisk the eggs and water and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the egg mix to the pan and gently cook till lightly set.
4. Turn the frittata out onto a serving plate.
5. Lay the smoked salmon on top and drizzle with the crème fraiche and salmon roe. Garnish with sprigs of dill and drizzle with Lakelands olive oil.