5 Minutes Wth Keith Urban
Multi Grammy Award-Winner, Dad, devoted husband and all-round good bloke, Keith Urban has just launched his first fragrance, Phoenix, by Keith Urban. Keith tells us who inspired him to create his first fragrance and wha the process was like.
1. Why the name Phoenix?
I like the mythology of the Phoenix. They say that pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth. And the story of the Phoenix, for me, alludes to the metaphoric “rising from adversity”. Even stronger than before.
2. How important is fragrance to you in terms of how it makes you feel?
For me, it’s all about feel. It’s the scent that creates a feeling, much like how it can also trigger a memory.
3. You attribute a great influence in the creation of Phoenix to your father. Why is that?
I grew up with a father that had great taste in music, cars and colognes. So the idea to eventually create my own fragrance seemed natural. I’ve always loved the feeling that comes from finding the right scent and the way it can say so much about a person.
4. What was the development process like? Did you notice a trend running through the fragrances you loved?
We looked at all of the different colognes I actually wear and started to see certain notes that were present in all of them. From there we set about defining what became Phoenix. What I was looking for was a good balance of sensual, spiritual and masculinity, and I think that’s what we’ve achieved.
5. Can you give us a few more insights into the choice of the actual ‘notes’ themselves?
The notes were more of a result of discovery. We looked at all of the different colognes I actually wear and started to see certain notes that were present in all of them. From there we set about defining what became Phoenix.
6. Can you describe some of your favourite smells that helped to create what you were looking for with Phoenix?
I’d say Agarwood was high on the list along with blackberry and cognac among others.
7. Was the process of creating the fragrance similar to creating your music?
Usually when I write songs I create from the music outwards. That is to say that the music comes first and is trying to tell a story. So in that regard, I’d guess you’d say that that Phoenix is the music. You decide what the story is.
8. Do you see Phoenix as a special occasion fragrance, or something that can be worn every day?
Life’s too short…shouldn’t every day be a special occasion?
What we say: With top notes of blackberries, cognac and plum the scent then develops into rich dark chocolate and balsam with a base note of warm cashmere wood. This is a seriously sexy fragrance with many layers to savour.
PHOENIX by Keith Urban is available in David Jones and Priceline.